Chemo Eve

I’m still new to blogging, but I am realizing that it would be easier to provide short frequent updates opposed to long boring, philosophical entries

Tomorrow is my first Chemo treatment. I’m not quite sure what to expect…I’ve tried to do some research, but I’m finding there are all sorts of different opinions and antidotes on how to deal with Chemo. What I’ve learned about dealing with Cancer is simple. There are 4 things I need to do (and all four are equally important as well as interconnected with each other).

First, I need to keep my head in the game. Cancer is a physical aliment, but a mental battle. I can’t get caught up in what I overlooked in the past or may miss in the future. I need to take things one day (and at times one hour) at a time. I need to keep my thoughts and feelings positive and uplifting (meditation and deep breathing really helps with this). The single most critical component that has enabled me to keep my head straight is to focus on love. I learned during my surgery about the power of God’s love as it was shown to me and I’ve tried to replicate it and give it to others. I haven’t done it perfectly, but I am finding that true Christ like love is the most powerful force on earth.

Another thing I’ve found connected to the expression of love and emotion (and I never thought I would ever say this in a million years) is the therapeutic value of crying. In my opinion, crying is not an expression of weakness, but a sign of strength. It releases tension, calms fears, breaks down barriers and opens up avenues that solidify relationships. All I can say is “who would have known?”…and… “perhaps I should have been listening to my wife a little bit more over the years!!”

Second, I am learning that I need to eat properly. Calories and their sources are essential in order for my body to do what it needs to do. In a nutshell, it boils down to completely following the word of wisdom. It’s not enough to avoid the negative, but I need to purse the positive. Fruits, grains, vegetables and protein from non-animal sources are very important. They provide the physical and mental energy I need to move forward and to find joy.

Third, I need to get enough sleep. The first two things (i.e. keeping my head in the game and eating properly) really help with sleeping. A consistent pattern involving 8-9 hours per night is critical.

Fourth, I need to keep my body moving. Because of the surgery, body movement has consisted of walking, but within the next week, I should be ready to start back with some cardio and light weight lifting.

3 comments:

Aaron Christley said...

Dear Jay,
Let me first say that I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I have asked myself many times when I hear of tragedies why do bad things happen to good people? I especially pondered this question when my father was sick. But I realized as he was sick that I could finally grasp Christ like love. I could finally see that I needed to rely on Heavenly Father more to carry me through trials and tribulations. I learned also just how much Our Savior suffered for us. You shed some light on this nagging question in my head and heart.Thank you. I feel like you will fight this disease with your plan and faith. You and Susan are amazing examples of faith and Christlike love. We think of you and pray for you. We hope that all goes well for you.
Love,
The Christley's

The Williams Family said...

Jay-Boy as I read your latest entry I can't help but think about how you have lived your life up to this point. Everything you have described that you need to do is what and how you have lived. You have been preparing for this all along. You needed to train yourself to be able to handle this and I have to say, what a masterful job you've done. I love you and I'm so very proud of you. As dad would always end his letters to me on my mission.

JUST DO IT!

DadForFive said...

You are an amazing man! I just want you to know what a great example you are to me. I know, from going through exactly the same thing with my father, what it takes mentally, physically and emotionally, to stay focused and carry on. Know that you are constantly in our prayers. I will keep in touch with you though your blog, and hope to see you in Utah sometime.
Love,
Dale and LaDawn Crockett